September 20, 2021

It’s inevitable that you’ll experience some electrical problems once in a while at home. It’s important to know the causes behind them so you can call an electrician to fix them so you know you’re safe.

Are you experiencing these electrical problems at home? It might be time to have them checked by a professional.

1.  Electrical surges or dips

Surges are a spike in charge in power lines which causes a current increase in your outlets. Frequent surges can cause damage to your electronics and cut their lifespan drastically. 

Dips are sporadic drops in voltage that cause your lights to dim and flicker. They’re also known as brownouts. They’re usually attributed to connected devices that are faulty or made poorly, using up a lot of power when turned on.

Most of the time surges and dips can’t be helped because they’re either caused by lightning strikes, damaged power lines, or a mistake by your power company. To prevent your appliances from getting damaged, use a surge protector. If you still experience surges, it’s time to call an electrician.

2. Flickering lights

Aside from brownouts, flickering lights can also be caused by a poor connection that could eventually lead to sparking, overheating, and even a fire.

If it happens often, turn off the malfunctioning bulbs and have an electrician check the connection. It could be that loose or corroded wires are making contact, known as arcing.

3. Frequent light bulb blowouts

If your light bulbs burn out often, it could also be because of a poor connection that can lead to overheating. 

4. Warm outlets or switches

This means an outlet is overloaded, which means its wiring can’t carry the electrical load of the gadgets plugged into it. This can cause a fire. 

Unplug the devices from that outlet and spread them around other outlets in your house. Make use of smart extension cords.

5. Tripping circuit breakers

This is most commonly caused by circuit breakers overloading. As we accumulate more electronics and appliances or upgrade our entertainment systems, there are no longer enough power points in our home to accommodate them. 

Make sure you unplug devices when they’re not in use and to spread them around so you don’t overload a single circuit.

A frequently tripping circuit breaker could be an indication of bigger problems though. So if you feel you aren’t using that much electricity in your home to warrant an overload, it’s time to call in a licensed electrician to do a check up.

6. Damaged extension cords

If you have pets that like to chew on things, you better check if your extension cords are one of them. Make sure to cover them with protective material or hide the cords where cats and dogs can’t reach them.

For more information on how to protect your pet from electrical hazards, check out our blog.

7. Dead outlets

Another sign of a potentially deeper problem is the wiring of your home. If you have one or several outlets that aren’t working, call your trusted electrician. Loose or damaged wires within the walls are dangerous and can cause a fire. 

8. Some lights are too dim or too bright

Do you notice some lights in your house are brighter or dimmer than others? This could be because of a bad main neutral connection and needs the attention of an electrician.

9. Electrical shocks

If you experience shocks when you touch a device or switch, there could be a problem with the wiring. Don’t attempt to find out the problem yourself, have an electrician come over to check right away. 

Alert members of your household to the faulty device or switch and put up a sign reminding them not to touch it.

10. High electric bill

Damaged wires and circuits can contribute to a high electricity bill. If your monthly bill confuses you as to how you’re using that much electricity, it could be a problem on those two things. Make sure you’re also unplugging unused devices and chargers. 

Call Astley Electrical immediately if you have any of these problems occurring in your home for a while. Never attempt to fix any wiring yourself. As licensed electricians, we can help make your home, office, or business, a safer place.